Friday 12 April 2013

Review: Mac Prep + Prime

As you may remember from first haul post I made my first significant MAC purchase of two items from the Prep + Prime range. I got the Fortified Skin Enhancer in Adjust and the Transparent Finishing Powder in the loose version. Today I'm finally reviewing them.





I’ll start with the Skin Enhancer as that seems logical. I nearly wasn’t going to buy this but I’m so glad I did. I can really tell on days when I’m not wearing this that my foundation doesn’t last as long, it seems to keep shine away for a majority of the day and what shine there is can be easily blotted and re-powered if I am going out somewhere. It comes in four shades Adjust (light, neutral peach), Illuminate (pale lavender), Recharge (bronzy orange) and Neutralise (pale yellow).

Blended out and held up to unnatural light, as you can see there's not much difference to my hand but it does have a glow (not picked up by camera)

If I’m honest, I don’t notice my face being very ‘adjusted’ but that doesn’t really bother me. I was worried the SPF of 30 would cause flash back but after taking many photos of myself wearing this and pulling weird faces (why are selfies so hard?!) I’ve not noticed any. I take a small amount a rub it all over my face before buffing my foundation in. Primers can be difficult to get right and often expensive to buy. This however is being marked down as one I’ll be coming back to.

Powder wise I often struggle with keeping a natural looking finish to my skin and not changing the colour of it. Because this powder is white, the colour isn’t changed and it’s so thin that I still look natural and not cakey. I also find this helps prevent shine and holds my foundation on. It appears to have no SPF which means it photographs nicely with no flash back. 
Under the black sticker there are holes, I highly suggest not removing the sticker to attempt to keep powder leakage to a minimum
I very carefully tap some into the lid, swirl a big powder brush in that, tap of the excess and swirl that round my face. I’m careful not to put too much on and find a little through my t-zone is enough. It being loose means that it is difficult to transport but easy enough to use at home, provided you’re careful not to get it on the floor. I could see justifying having the pressed version as well (I’m not sure my bank account agrees) but then I’d worry it would smash in my bag.  

Together these are the perfect products for keeping my face on throughout the day. I’ll definitely be re-purchasing when they run out. They are expensive but will last a long time and actually seem to work.

The Fortified Skin Enhancer is £22.00 and the powder is £19.50 they can be purchased online or at your nearest MAC counter.

2 comments :

  1. I've never tried these before! I want to try them but im not sure if theyre good for oily skin

    Please check out and follow my blog! I'd really appreciate it! <3
    http://seasidebeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have quite oily skin and they're fine. No break outs or anything.

      Love your latest haul. I really want the Nars blushers/bronzer.

      Delete