Thursday 8 August 2013

The Skin Zero Issue



This post is a response to a brilliant post by British Beauty Blogger which you can read here. She raised the issue that there is a strong (and much needed) focus on ‘size zero’ and happily some brands are starting to use models that aren’t stick thin. But it is rare for brands to promote beauty products without a lot of photoshop, or 'skin zero'. There are of course some who have, Illamasqua’s Imperfection range was mentioned in a blog comment. But the models they used in the 4 images I can find on the site are still stunningly beautiful. I believe there is now a law where brands have to start putting disclaimers if they have used lash-inserts on mascara ads but the same doesn’t seem to apply to foundation or skincare ads. It makes it hard for me to believe a product is going to work if the original image is photoshopped as well as the ‘after’ shot. 


In the same way that ‘size zero’ can cause eating disorders ‘skin zero’ can cause low self-esteem. The feeling that you don't look like the models do and you probably never will.  Personally, I can’t see the improvements my skin has made recently because I still see the very bad skin of my formative years when I look in the mirror. I remain extremely self-conscious around the issue of my skin and rarely appear to those closest to me without a full face of make-up. 

BBB makes the point that bloggers have inspired the rise of ‘normal’ faces in ad campaigns (L’Oreal is the brand highlighted) and I’m sure this is true but bloggers can also be a little at fault, even without meaning to. Many of them have fabulous skincare regimes which mean they have clear skin, I most definitely don’t. Therefore, when they’re reviewing a foundation it can be hard to believe that it will cover what I need it to. Those that use models rarely choose ones with really acne prone skin, one or two spots doesn’t count. Occasionally they do, but not nearly as often as perhaps they should. I wrote this post a while ago about baring your skin for the world. Maybe now is the time to bring it back.

I hope that this doesn't come across as bitter, because I'm not. I don’t be-grudge these girls and their clear skin but I wish that brands would feature those of us who aren’t so blessed.

Interestingly, before sitting down to write this post I was procrastinating on writing one on Bobbi Brown’s book Pretty Powerful a brilliant book that features women make-up less and photoshop less. Dark circles and all. If you ever want a read that will help you be more confident and make-up to highlight your best features and your personality, then this is it. 


No comments :

Post a Comment