Wednesday 12 November 2014

Body Shaming

As I really enjoyed writing my post on Feminism and Beauty I thought I would do another opinion piece, because I have a lot of opinions.
Unrelated pictures of birds because I couldn't think of anything else


Today, I'm talking about body shaming and the media. In particular the music industry. I'm well aware of the difficulties faced by women and men who are bigger than I am. I am of the opinion that everybody's beautiful and as long as you're happy and healthy within yourself then that's all that matters. I realise that some people might see the release of some songs that have come out recently as a triumph for those normally not included. But this 'triumph' comes at a price, the shaming of people who are smaller than you.

I'm going to start with the positives, there are some. All About the Bass could have been so good for example it's got lines like this:
I see the magazine workin' that Photoshop
We know that shit ain't real
C'mon now, make it stop
If you got beauty, beauty, just raise 'em up
'Cause every inch of you is perfect
From the bottom to the top.

If that was repeated several times it would have been great. We're bombarded by unrealistic images wherever we look, slowly the beauty and fashion industries are starting to change however. Back to the song. We then have this: 
I'm bringing booty back
Go ahead and tell them skinny bitches that
No, I'm just playing. I know you think you're fat

What?! And no, before you ask saying "No, I'm just playing" doesn't not take away from what she said. Calling someone a skinny bitch because they're smaller than you is a terrible and shaming thing to do. It is not a compliment. In fact, how about we agree not to comment on people's figures unless they're our very best friends and even then we choose our words carefully. "I know you think you're fat" I don't actually, but thanks for making me wonder if I should. 

There are so many issues with this song and with others like it. Not least the problem of impressionable young girls being told that if they have a big booty that boys will like them. It's just wrong.

To everybody reading this, you're beautiful. And don't let anybody or any song tell you otherwise.

No comments :

Post a Comment